23 March 2008
5 Gym Commandments for People Who Have No Time
Many people believe that when it comes to exercise, it has to be all or nothing and they think that all means 60-90 minutes for every gym visit. Well, that’s just too long. If I thought I was going to spend 90 minutes in the gym every time I went, I doubt I’d ever get there. 90 minutes is a long time! Here are 5 secrets to making the most out of every minute you're at the gym so no visit is wasted.
1. For a great workout, you only need to spend 30-40 minutes at the gym. Maximum. And if you’re in a hurry, you can cut this down to 20 minutes for some visits. All you need to do is make sure you exercise regularly and exercise effectively and you can cut the time you spend working out in half.
2. The secret to quick workouts is to keep moving. I see too many people in gyms sitting doing nothing, chatting on their cell phones or chewing the fat (!!) with a friend. They’ll tell you they’re recovering from the previous exercise or preparing for the next one but I say they’re just slowing down their workout. You can sit around and recover back at home.
3. Sweat. While you’re at the gym you should aim to keep the intensity of your workout high throughout your visit. Begin with a 4-5 minute warm up and then plan your routine so that you can move smoothly from one exercise to the next without resting along the way. This is really important to maximise your workout.
4. Get the right mix. Aim to include approximately 15 minutes of Cardio training and 15 minutes of strength / core training and vary the format of how you mix your training up so that you always have a new and challenging workout. This will keep your results consistent and stop you from getting bored.
5. Here's a quick routine to try: 5 minutes on the treadmill, 5 minutes upper body training, 5 minutes on the stepper, 5 minutes lower body training, 5 minutes on the Elliptical trainer and finish off with 5 minutes core work. Stretch and out the door.
The combinations are endless and will keep your gym visits fresh. And remember, the more you go, the less time you need spend there each visit. I'm sure you've got other stuff to do.....
Photograph by targophoto.com (Flickr)