6 June 2012

Swim Yourself Slim

Last Sunday I went swimming.  Not just any old kind of swimming though.  I went to one of London's oldest outdoor pools.  And one of the biggest at 91m or 100 yards long. 


What a great experience.  The weather was terrible and I had to go early to beat the traffic so I ended up dragging myself out of bed at 6am on a cold, rainy morning of a holiday weekend to go swimming outdoors.  


Amazingly, I was really excited and had no problem getting up and out the house.  


Which made me think.


With the weather as bad as it was, I wouldn't have gone cycling and probably wouldn't have got up for a run.  I also wouldn't have gone for a swim if it had been in my regular indoor pool.  But by looking for a new dimension to my training it was easy to make sure I kept my schedule in place.  


So if ever you're finding it hard to motivate yourself, give a little thought to how you can approach your exercise routine from a slightly different angle.  It may be that you don't need to do much that's different, but just a little bit of something new could make the difference between sticking with the programme or letting things slide.


Some ideas of how you can shake things up:

  • Run, bike, row, ride a little further or faster
  • Choose some new routes
  • Vary the intensity of your workouts
  • Change the order of your exercise routine
  • Join a club or team
  • Change the music of your workout
  • Exercise with a friend
  • Buy some new kit or technology
  • Set yourself some specific targets
The more creative you are with how you exericse, the greater your chances of quick results.


No comments:

Post a Comment