Health benefits apart, a defined waist makes you look good, makes your clothes look great and apparently, makes you very attractive to the opposite sex. No time to waist then....
1. The Plank
- Lie face down with your body supported on your forearms
- Keeping your knees in contact with the ground, life your hips off the ground until your body forms a straight line from your shoulders to your knees. Then lift your knees from the ground so your body forms a straight line from shoulders to ankles.
- Hold your stomach tight to keep the bridge straight while breathing deeply and evenly
Hold for 10 seconds then relax
- Then hold for 15 seconds and relax
- The more you practice this exercise, the longer you can aim to hold the position - try aiming for 60 seconds off the ground by the end of your first week.
2. Lower body twists
- Lie face up with your knees and hips at 90-degrees
- Breathe deeply and tighten your stomach muscles
- Keeping your knees at right angles allow your legs to roll over to one side but make sure your body remains flat on the ground - both shoulders should remain in contact with the floor
- Keep your feet and knees together throughout the movement.
- Repeat x 15 each side
3. Cardio work
If you're flabby, all the abs definition in the world will barely show through so you must carry on doing cardio work to lose the weight around your middle. You want to do this quickly so here's how: -
Forget the fat burning zone, you don't have time for that right now. Instead, do short, focused work outs pushing yourself hard. 15 minutes really building up a sweat is better than 45 mins of going through the motions.
Think of it like this, if you work at 50% of your maximum effort, getting the results will take twice as long. So knuckle down to it.
- Coming Up tomorrow - 2 more waist defining exercises that target the abs!